At Magnolia Creek, our staff works with clients and families to create an individualized comprehensive care plan that meets the psychological, medical, nutritional, spiritual, and relational needs. Our residential and partial hospitalization facility offers evidence-based treatment programs to women (18 years or older) who struggle with feeding or eating disorders and/or co-occurring mental health conditions. The eating disorders we treat span the whole spectrum of those the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) describes.
What We Treat
Eating Disorders We Treat
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Binge Eating Disorder
- Compulsive exercise
- Pica disorder
- Muscle dysmorphia
- Purging disorder
- Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID)
- Other Specified Feeding or Eating Disorder (OSFED)
- Unspecified Feeding or Eating Disorder (UFED)
- Eating Disorders Not Otherwise Specified (EDNOS)
Mental Health Disorders We Treat
- Personality Disorders
- Self Injury
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Impulsivity Issues (frequently occur with eating disorders)
- Residential Schedule
- Group Therapy
- Individual therapy, Psychiatric/Medication Management
- Family Therapy Program
- Aftercare Program
- Nutrition Therapy & Exercise
Levels of Care
Why Eating Disorder Treatment Is Important
According to research, eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. To break it down more specifically, let’s look at the statistics of lifetime prevalence of eating disorders in women.
20 million women will suffer from a clinically significant eating disorder in their lifetime, of these 20 million it is estimated that:
- .5% to 3.7% will suffer from anorexia
- 1% to 4.2% will suffer from bulimia
- 5% will suffer from binge eating disorder
We know that a variety of factors contribute to the development of an eating disorder including (but not limited to) societal pressures, neurobiology, trauma histories, family dynamics, and high levels of stress. Regardless of the type of eating disorder, controlling weight is one motivator for an eating disorder; another is being in control of something no one else can.
At Magnolia Creek, our therapeutic environment is designed to provide a whole person approach to treatment. We explore the issues and experiences related to eating disorders and challenge the thoughts and behaviors that prevent women from living their life fully.
Goals for Therapy
The key goals of our eating disorder treatment program include the following:
- Eliminate eating disordered behaviors
- Identify adaptive skills to cope with life stressors
- Develop a healthy relationship with exercise
- Weight restoration – establish healthy eating patterns a healthy relationship with food/fluids
- Practice food-related life skills (including grocery shopping, menu planning, cooking, and appropriately portioning food)
- Distinguish emotional and physical hunger/fullness cues
- Identify and challenge food/body related cognitive distortions
- Trust in your body’s ability; hunger/satiety cues, weight regulation to set point
How does Magnolia Creek address the treatment of eating disorders to help our clients find relief in other, safer ways?
We honor our clients as experts on their lives as well as their treatment. We are here as resources to utilize as you navigate your recovery journey.
- Magnolia Creek acknowledges that your eating disorder has served a valid purpose for you. We collaborate with you to find other ways to cope with life stressors and expectations.
- Our staff works with our clients to identify and to process contributing factors to the development of their eating disorder through individual therapy with master’s level clinicians.
- We foster shame resilience through group therapy to promote opportunities to interact with peers and feel less alone in our struggles.
- Magnolia Creek partners each client with a dietitian to develop an individualized meal plan to honor and nourish the needs of your body to help it function at its best.
- We engage our clients in the community to identify new coping skills, allow opportunities to practice skills learned in treatment, and to have fun.
- We work with our clients to expand their support system to ensure continued support post-discharge.
Magnolia Creek provides extraordinary eating disorder treatment just outside of Birmingham, AL. Learn more about the eating disorders we treat and the ways we approach treatment by giving us a call at 205-650-8077.