Some days it is not easy to remember we are on a journey towards valuing ourselves the way we deserve. But the truth is, we are valuable every day – just because you are human, you have value. It is also important to remember that putting yourself first is never selfish. It is a necessity.
All types of self-care are interlinked; acting on one area will grow another. When you take a quick walk or take a moment for some quiet time, you are caring for yourself both physically and mentally.
Life is busy, but it is important to engage in self-care daily. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Get outside. Summertime is winding down, so take advantage of the weather and spend time outdoors – go for a swim, take a trip to the beach, or just find some shade and relax.
- Surround yourself with people who make you feel good. Spend time with those that bring out the best version of you.
- Make time for the things you enjoy. We all get busy, but take a moment each day and do something you love – whether its reading a book or taking a short drive. Do it for you!
- Try something new. It doesn’t matter what it is – new hobby, new recipe. Every day is a new opportunity.
- Set boundaries. It’s okay to say no. It’s okay to take time for yourself. It’s actually healthy both for you and the people around you. If we are spreading ourselves thin or living by making sure we are pleasing others, we are going to wear ourselves out. And we can’t engage in relationships, be as effective at work, or maintain our mental health if we are perpetually stressed. Sometimes we have to teach people how to treat us, and in that process, they will learn how to value themselves as well.
- Try meditating. Take a few minutes of your day to sit and clear your mind. You will realize how powerful it can be.
- Be kind, especially to yourself. You deserve nothing but kindness, and sharing it with others is an added benefit.
- Watch your language. Say positive things about yourself and to yourself. Even on days when you don’t feel your best, it is important to stay positive.
Most importantly – know that you’re not alone. If you or someone you know is struggling, Magnolia Creek can help. For more information, please contact our admissions team at 866-318-2329 or complete our contact form.