Find Bulimia Treatment at Magnolia Creek
A few facts about bulimia nervosa may surprise you. For example, the majority of people with bulimia nervosa are female. In fact, there’s a 10:1 female-to-male ratio. Also, contrary to popular belief, people with bulimia nervosa often appear to be of average body weight. This can make it easier for those suffering to hide their problem. If you are suffering from bulimia and are looking for help, please reach out to us.
Call us at 205-409-4220
Approximately 4.7 million females in the United States will have their lives threatened by this potentially deadly disorder.
What is bulimia nervosa?
Bulimia nervosa is a serious mental health disorder that requires comprehensive bulimia treatment. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Fifth Edition characterizes bulimia nervosa with the following criteria:
- Recurrent episodes of binge eating(characterized by eating large amounts of food in a short period and a sense of loss of control over eating behaviors)
- Use of inappropriate, compensatory behaviors, such as self-induced vomiting, laxative or diuretic abuse, fasting and/or obsessive exercise
- The binge eating, and compensatory behaviors occur at least once a week for three months
- Self-evaluation is inappropriately influenced by the person’s weight and shape
- The disturbance does not occur exclusively during episodes of anorexia nervosa