For the Family
How Do I Help My Family Member Get Treatment?
Family members (or potential clients) can obtain more information regarding our program or other recovery resources by contacting a member of our intake department. Magnolia Creek offers complementary clinical and dietetic consultations and tours of our facility for potential clients or family members.
Here are some of our suggestions for helping a loved one get treatment:
- Educate yourself about eating disorders and co-occurring mental health conditions and treatment options
- Model self-care and healthy relationships with food, body, and exercise
- Remind your loved one that you want what is best for him/her
- Present as non-judgemental; ask you how you can help
- Suggest professional help in a gentle way; present as a calm, united front or family system
- Search for specialized treatment providers
- Don’t attempt to provide help you are unqualified to give
- Expect resistance to treatment and/or denial of the problem from your loved one
- Contact a professional interventionist or treatment provider who can support your family
- Don’t threaten your loved one or set boundaries that you can’t enforce
- Call 911 if you believe your loved one’s condition is life threatening
- Visit Our Resources & Education Page